TO: Interested Parties
FROM: William McCurdy II, Nevada State Democratic Party Chair
DATE: Sunday, August 23, 2020
RE: Ahead of Republicans’ Chaos Convention, Donald Trump Facing Uphill Battle in Nevada
Ahead of the Republican National Convention, Donald Trump is facing an uphill battle across Nevada. Trump’s standing with voters has been hobbled by his failed leadership during the pandemic, and his long record of broken promises. This week, Democrats announced a slate of counter convention programming during the upcoming RNC to hold him accountable and to remind Americans that Trump has really only delivered on one thing — a Chaos Presidency. Here’s the state of the race in Nevada ahead of Republicans’ chaos convention this week:
Trump is facing an uphill battle in Nevada, and Democrats have been laying the groundwork to deliver victories up and down the ballot. Here in Nevada, elections are won on the ground — and NV Dems are ready to propel our candidates to victory by out-registering and out-organizing our opponents.
- Nevada is one of the youngest and most diverse states in the country. NV Dems boasts a multilingual field team that reflects the diversity of Nevada, and has had organizers stationed in every county of the state since August 2019.
- By the end of July 2020, Nevada Democrats had a nearly 6-point statewide voter registration advantage. Democrats also continue to dominate among total registered voters in Clark County, where Republicans’ deficit has left the GOP comparable to a third party, trailing non-partisan and third-party voters by more than 37,000.
- Since the coronavirus outbreak, NV Dems successfully shifted its organizing efforts online — hosting frequent virtual events, including town halls, days of action, surrogate roundtables, and even an ice cream social.
- NV Dems continue to find creative new ways to register voters under the current circumstances – from online voter registration challenges to voter registration trainings, to including paper registration forms in its food and supply deliveries for those unable to register online. NV Dems has also partnered with local businesses still offering delivery to provide paper registration forms to customers.
- This year, more than 17,000 Nevadans registered to vote as Democrats during the First in the West Caucus.
Trump is underwater in Nevada, where his failed leadership has crippled his standing with voters. Now, after four years of broken promises, Trump is facing historic headwinds in the Silver State.
- Trump is utterly disconnected from the challenges so many working families across Nevada are experiencing and it shows — the latest polling has him underwater with voters in state and he’s grown deeply out of touch with Americans. According to a Civiqs poll, 59% of Nevadans disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing.
- Meanwhile, Republicans have not won a presidential race in Nevada since 2004. In fact, in 2018, Democrats won major victories in Nevada, including electing the first Democratic governor in nearly 20 years, flipping a U.S. Senate seat, and winning an open seat in congressional district 3. Additionally, Democrats held both State Legislative chambers and kept a supermajority in the Nevada Assembly. Nevada also became the first state to elect a majority-female State Legislature.
- According to 2018 exit polling, health care was the top concern for Nevada voters — a key vulnerability for Trump.
Nevadans are fed up with Trump’s relentless assault on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and his reckless attempts to rip away health care coverage from Americans in the midst of a global pandemic.
- In 2016, Trump pledged: “We’re going to have health care that is so good and so much less expensive.” [Trump Campaign Rally, Las Vegas NV, 10/30/16]
- But Trump broke his promise and now, Nevada families are paying the price. For years, Trump has sought to overturn the ACA, threatening protections for as many as 1.2 million Nevadans with pre-existing conditions.
- To make matters worse, if Trump’s endless crusade against the ACA is successful, 309,000 Nevadans could lose their coverage in the middle of a pandemic — right when they need it the most.
Trump’s ineffective and neglectful handling of the COVID-19 pandemic has caused havoc on Nevadans’ health and economic security.
- There have been more than 65,000 diagnosed cases of COVID-19 in the state. Nearly 1,200 Nevadans have tragically passed away due to the virus.
- The virus and ensuring business closures caused devastation to Nevada’s economy, which for multiple months had the nation’s highest unemployment rate.
- Trump’s failure to provide the needed federal response and resources has left hospitals stretched for staff and resources, health care workers worried about workplace safety, and nursing home staff confronting outbreaks at their facilities.
Here’s the bottom line: Trump’s chaotic presidency has wreaked havoc on Nevadans’ lives and livelihoods — we deserve better than Trump’s broken promises. Nevada voters saw right through Trump’s empty rhetoric 4 years ago, and we’ll reject his failed record again come November.