Donald Trump Jr. is in Las Vegas today, stumping for perennial candidate Danny Tarkanian. Tarkanian has come under criticism recently for a slew of scandals, including campaign surrogates pushing mail bomb conspiracy theories, his administration of a racist Facebook page, and his continuing mismanagement of a children’s charity.
Trump Jr.’s visit is an indication that the Republicans are deeply concerned about Danny’s troubled campaign. Tarkanian’s policy positions have made him unpopular with Nevada voters, who have rejected him in five consecutive elections.
Tarkanian’s policies are out-of-step with Nevadans:
- Tarkanian opposes protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Tarkanian promised to vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act in its entirety.
- Tarkanian said that minimum health care standards for insurance should be eliminated.
- Tarkanian supports Washington Republicans’ plans to impose an age tax on seniors.
- Tarkanian argues for cutting Social Security and Medicare for millions of seniors by raising the retirement age by as much as 20 years.
- Tarkanian supports bringing the nation’s nuclear waste to Nevada.
- Tarkanian flip-flopped on background checks for gun purchases and on banning bump stocks.
Nevada State Democratic Party Chair William McCurdy II released the following statement:
“Danny Tarkanian is running a backwards, out-of-touch campaign that does not reflect Nevada values. Danny’s platform is designed to help Washington special interests by cutting Social Security, providing more tax cuts for corporations, and bringing nuclear waste to Yucca mountain. We can take Danny at his word when he says he will be a ‘solid vote for Donald Trump.’ Danny’s long record of scandals and scams makes him unfit for office, and the voters will agree a sixth time on Tuesday. Voters have a better choice. Susie Lee has demonstrated a lifelong commitment to fighting for working families, and that’s why we need her in Washington.”
Background on Danny Tarkanian’s Scandals:
- Danny received a $16 million bailout from the FDIC for a failed “equestrian destination resort” in California.
- Danny helped to set up a series of telemarketing companies that scammed senior citizens.
- Danny borrowed $200,000 against his parents’ life insurance policy without their knowledge.
- Danny ran up a $161,000 operating deficit running a children’s basketball charity, while drawing $289,000 in salary.
- Danny funneled $40,000 from a children’s basketball charity into one of his political campaigns.
- Danny’s real estate businesses racked up significant penalties from the IRS, including $23,000 in back taxes, interest, penalties, and fees.
- Danny was implicated in an academic fraud scheme that resulted in penalties from the NCAA.
- Danny was sanctioned by the Nevada State Bar for failing to comply with a court order and for practicing law without an active license.
- Danny was fired from a telemarketing/long-distance phone company for allegedly forging a customer’s Social Security number and signature.
- Danny was successfully sued for malpractice after costing a small business owner his livelihood.
- Danny was a moderator for a racist Facebook group.