Today Nevada candidates Cresent Hardy, Dean Heller, Adam Laxalt, and Danny Tarkanian will campaign with President Trump and Wayne Allyn Root, a radio shock-jock with a long history of racist, sexist, homophobic statements. Root will be the opening speaker for tonight’s rally with President Trump. Trump is in Las Vegas to try and boost the Republicans’ struggling campaigns.
Background on Wayne Allyn Root
- Root repeatedly promoted the conspiracy theory that ISIS was responsible for the Oct 1st massacre.
- Root claimed that Unite the Right participants in Charlottesville were paid actors.
- Root “suggested that Mollie Tibbets was somehow responsible for her own death because she foolishly went running outside.”
- Root said that “all liberal men are gay” and “all liberal women are ugly”
- Root was a leading voice in the racist “birther” delusion against President Obama, whom Root called “the first Muslim President”.
Nevada State Democratic Party spokesperson Michael Soneff released the following statement:
“It is shameful that the President and his Nevada sycophants would give Wayne Allyn Root a platform for these disgusting views. Root has attacked women, the LGBTQ community, African Americans, Latinos, immigrants, and murder victims. Hardy, Heller, Laxalt, and Tarkanian should apologize for promoting this man and his appalling views–they do not represent Nevada values, and they don’t belong in elected office.”