Today two Washington D.C. Super PACs announced that they are spending a combined $4 million to try and help perennial candidate Danny Tarkanian in his bid for Congress. Tarkanian’s campaign has been plagued by revelations about Danny’s misdeeds, including Danny’s history helping to set up telemarketing scams that stole millions from senior citizens. The Super PACs, America First Action SuperPAC and the Congressional Leadership Fund, are billionaire-funded groups that are focusing their attacks on education advocate and Democratic nominee Susie Lee.
Nevada State Democratic Party spokesperson Michael Soneff released the following statement:
“Danny Tarkanian is relying on spending from national Republicans to keep him from losing his sixth campaign in a row. Danny’s unabashed pandering to special interests on health care, tax giveaways for billionaires, cuts to Social Security, and storage of nuclear waste in Yucca mountain make him the establishment’s ideal candidate. No amount of spending from Super PACs can disguise Danny’s long track record of scandals and scams. Nevadans have seen through Danny in five consecutive elections, and will once again vote for a candidate who represents Nevada values.”
Background on Danny Tarkanian’s Scandals:
- Danny received a $16 million bailout from the FDIC for a failed “equestrian destination resort” in California.
- Danny helped to set up a series of telemarketing companies that scammed senior citizens.
- Danny borrowed $200,000 against his parents’ life insurance policy without their knowledge.
- Danny ran up a $161,000 operating deficit running a children’s basketball charity, while drawing $289,000 in salary.
- Danny funneled $40,000 from a children’s basketball charity into one of his political campaigns.
- Danny’s real estate businesses racked up significant penalties from the IRS, including $23,000 in back taxes, interest, penalties, and fees.
- Danny was implicated in an academic fraud scheme that resulted in penalties from the NCAA.
- Danny was sanctioned by the Nevada State Bar for failing to comply with a court order and for practicing law without an active license.
- Danny was fired from a telemarketing/long-distance phone company for allegedly forging a customer’s Social Security number and signature.
- Danny ran a racist Facebook group.