Today, Republican gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt “downplayed concerns” that he would continue to push for restrictions on access to safe and legal abortion if elected governor. At the same time, Laxalt heaped praise on Trump’s anti-choice Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh — despite the fact that both Attorney General Laxalt and the Nevada governor have precisely zero role to play in the confirmation of U.S. Supreme Court justices.
In a conference call with reporters, Laxalt said access to abortion will “not be an issue” in Nevada if Trump’s anti-choice nominee is confirmed. But Nevadans know that Laxalt — who is endorsed by the anti-choice Nevada Right to Life — has been secretly working to undermine women’s access to constitutionally-protected reproductive health care nationwide as attorney general. Here’s a brief rundown of just how anti-choice Laxalt really is:
- Laxalt said he will “look into” rolling back Nevada’s law guaranteeing access to abortion, then tried to walk back his statement — but raw interview footage shows clearly what Laxalt said.
- Laxalt joined a U.S. Supreme Court case supporting fake clinics that discourage women from making their own health care decisions without consulting Gov. Brian Sandoval, a pro-choice Republican.
- Laxalt quietly added Nevada to a lawsuit supporting an “unduly burdensome” Texas abortion ban, also without consulting Gov. Sandoval.
- Laxalt pushed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to restrict access to essential reproductive care.
- Laxalt pushed to block abortion access in a landmark U.S. Supreme Court case on a Texas TRAP law, or Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers.
Nevada State Democratic Party spokeswoman Helen Kalla released the following statement:
“Actions speak louder than words, and there are no lies Laxalt can tell that will distract from his extreme anti-choice record and obvious agenda of rolling back women’s reproductive rights. Make no mistake: Laxalt is eager to take advantage of a right-wing Supreme Court to continue pushing his anti-choice views on women across the country. Nevada women are much smarter than to be fooled by Laxalt’s smoke and mirrors when his record is crystal clear, which is why they will reject him and his anti-choice politics in November.”